ETCC Quarterly Meeting: Smart Policy, New Technology and the Right Approach for More Efficient Homes
Smart homes are no longer the future – they are reality. Recent legislation has made this technology space as hot as the real estate market. Yet there are still hurdles to overcome to ensure smooth implementation of new technologies. This ETCC meeting will bring together customers, utilities, vendors, and industry experts in the area of residential smart homes. Speakers will provide insight into California’s newest residential policies and how they affect testing and implementation. Discussion will also include a highlight of specific technologies making major progress within smart homes, and wrap up with a look to how utilities are connecting with customers through third-party providers, marketplaces, and more.
9:00 AM BREAKFAST AND NETWORKING
10:00 AM Introduction, Safety and ETCC Updates
- Kate Zeng, Technology Planning & Analysis Manager, San Diego Gas & Electric
10:20 AM Solid Foundations: The Big Picture Behind Smart Homes
The California utilities have made great strides recently regarding the policies and approaches to technology use in the smart home space. Utility reps will share a quick overview of the policies guiding their work, such as AB802, SB350, AB793, and AB758. Speakers will then introduce the proposed business plans for the next 10 years of utility programs, focusing on the strategies that address the major challenges in the residential sector.
- Moderator: Jonathan Livingston, President, Livingston Energy Innovations
- Carlos Ruiz, Supervisor of Residential Portfolio, SoCalGas
- Mayda Bandy, Manager for Residential Customer Programs, San Diego Gas & Electric
- Dave Ashuckian, Deputy Director, Efficiency Division, California Energy Commission
- Derek Okada, Policy & Planning Senior Manager, Customer Programs & Services, Southern California Edison
- David Thayer, Manager, Energy Efficiency Product Management, Pacific Gas & Electric
11:40 AM NETWORKING LUNCH (provided)
12:45 PM Brick and Mortar: Insight into Specific Technologies Revolutionizing the Residential Space
With strong legislation in place, smart home technology continues to push forward at a rapid pace. Panelists will share some of the specific experiments, projects, and technologies that are making waves in the residential space. The discussion will include lessons learned from recent pilots and tests, barriers for getting technologies into utility programs, and how to measure savings in the changing legislative landscape.
- Moderator: Ram Narayanamurthy, Principal Technical Leader, EPRI
- Theresa Pistochini, Engineering Manager, Western Cooling Efficiency Center, UC Davis
- Ryan Kerr, Emerging Technologies Manager of End Use Solutions, Gas Technology Institute
- Chris Tumpach, President, Rainforest Automation
- Essie Snell, Research Manager, E-Source
1:55 PM BREAK
2:15 PM For Sale: Buying Into Energy Efficiency
With strong policies in place and plenty of technologies out there, it would seem that every home should be smart. Yet many consumers still need to be convinced. Panelists will provide examples of successful partnerships between utilities and third-party providers, customer marketplaces, and other approaches for implementing new technologies. They will share insight into market barriers and other lessons learned while incorporating emerging technologies into the residential space.
- Moderator: Spencer Sator, Principal Project Manager, Livingston Energy Innovations
- Ram Dhanekula, Product Manager, San Diego Gas & Electric
- Kari Binley, Sr. Industry Relations Manager - Retail, Pacific Gas & Electric
- Stephen Bickel, Vice President, Product and Market Innovation, D+R International
- Brandon De Young, Executive Vice President, De Young Properties
3:25 PM Wrap-Up
3:30 PM CONTINUED NETWORKING AND SMART HOME TOUR
Link to Recording: https://etcc.adobeconnect.com/p4cqabc08la/