Technological and policy advances are making homes smarter and more efficient than ever before. However, there are still hurdles to overcome on our way to realizing the maximum benefits of these advances. This ETCC meeting will bring together customers, utilities, vendors, and industry experts on the leading edge of innovative residential technologies. Discussion will focus on specific technologies that show promise, the ambitious initiatives that are driving innovation in California and elsewhere, and the ways in which utilities can connect with customers to deliver energy efficiency and other benefits.
9:00 AM - Breakfast and Networking
10:00 AM - Introduction, Safety, and ETCC Updates
10:15 AM - Understanding the Policy and Technology Landscape of Residential Efficiency in California
Breakthrough technologies, sophisticated service-providers, and a progressive policy framework are driving California’s housing stock to become more efficient than ever before. With legislation like AB 793—which seeks to enable smarter energy management though advanced technologies—and state zero net energy (ZNE) goals, plus the proliferation of connected appliances and new business models, the landscape is both more promising and complex than ever before. This discussion will focus on how to navigate this new landscape and will identify emerging opportunities, as well as barriers, to achieving even greater efficiency.
- Carol Yin, Evaluation Consultant, Yinsight (Moderator)
- Mazi Shirakh, ZNE Lead, CEC
- Sasha Merigan, Analyst, CPUC
- Edwin Hornquist, Emerging Technologies Program Manager, SCE
- Jeff Horn, Emerging Technologies Manager, Southern California Gas Company
11:15 AM - Working Together to Decode the Marketplace and Drive Innovation
Residential customer needs and expectations are changing as fast as the technologies themselves. This discussion will focus on how utilities, vendors, builders, and other stakeholders can best understand the new trends among residential customers and the marketplace. We’ll also examine how to address unmet market needs, how utilities can help support innovation, and how regulators, utilities, researchers, and customers can all work to advance beneficial technology trends.
- Tyler Sybert, ZNE Lead, SDG&E (Moderator)
- Chris Carradine, Executive Vice President of Business Development, ecobee
- Stephan Barsun, Sr. Principal Energy Consultant, Itron
- James Jackson, Business Development Manager, Emerson – Comfort Guard
- Steve Slayzak, Vice President of Technology, Seeley International
12:15 PM - Cleantech San Diego Announcement
12:20 PM - Networking Lunch (provided)
1:15 PM - What’s the Next BIG Thing? Promising Technologies and Advanced Approaches
There’s no shortage of exciting new residential gas and electric technologies. Panelists will share some of the specific experiments, projects, and trials that are making waves in the residential space. The discussion will include lessons learned from recent pilots and tests, barriers to getting technologies into utility programs, and how to measure savings in the changing legislative landscape.
- Mark Martinez, Manager of Emerging Markets and Technology, SCE (Moderator)
- Ram Narayanamurthy, Principal Technical Lead, High Performance & Smart Buildings, EPRI
- Ryan Kerr, Emerging Technologies Manager, GTI
- Essie Snell, Senior Manager, E Source
- Jay Luboff, Associate Director, Navigant
2:15 PM - Break
2:30 PM - Where the Rubber Meets the Road: Converting Opportunities into Success Stories
Now that we’ve explored some of the challenges and possible solutions in residential technologies, it’s time for an in-depth discussion of how to make change actually happen. This session will explore success stories in advancing new technologies, engaging trade ally networks, meeting ambitious state mandates, and interacting successfully with residential customers with leaders in these areas—both from within California and elsewhere.
- Matt Smith, Program Manager for Emerging Technologies Energy Efficiency Program, SDG&E (Moderator)
- Steve Shallenberger, President, Synergy Companies
- Paul Kyllo, Director, CLEAResult
- Ram Dhanekula, Product Manager, Marketplace Lead, SDG&E
- Kari Binley, Sr. Program Manager-Energy Efficiency Product Innovation, PG&E
3:15 PM - Wrap-Up
3:30 PM - Continued Networking