Skip to main content
Project Info COMPLETE Project Title

Light Emitting Diode (LED) lighting technology for Street Lighting

Project Number ET09SCE1010 Organization SCE End-use Lighting Sector Other Project Year(s) 2009 - 2009
This project is a field evaluation to assess the viability of LED technology for the use in Street Lighting applications. There focus on the project will be to determine energy savings from the incumbent HPS technology. The analysis will highlight whether or not the LED fixtures are able to meet or exceed the amount of light while saving energy. Additionally, the LED fixture's sensitivity to ambient temperature will be tested.
Project Results
The goal of this project is to provide an in-depth analysis of the feasibility of light-emitting diode (LED) technology that can potentially replace high pressure sodium (HPS) lamps in street lighting applications, specifically cobrahead-style luminaires. This analysis aids in identifying performance, energy savings and maintenance cost reduction potential of LED luminaires in comparison to HPS cobraheads. The results of this assessment will provide a foundation for understanding market potential, testing protocol and stakeholder preference. This project builds upon various studies conducted on LED technologies throughout the industry. Because LED technology is so dynamic, study results often fall behind the current state of available products and performance. Many studies often include multiple variables such as numerous manufacturers, distribution, color and other technologies all within the same assessment. Including multiple variables can often make it difficult to analyze LED technologies performance benefits over HPS. Perception studies are also being conducted. Review of some of these studies has provided valuable information on other demographics. In order to understand SCE’s wide range of demographics a parallel perception study is being conducted in coordination with this project. The perception study is based upon surveying residents in and around the LED Street Light project test sites with respect the perceived performance of the luminaires. Southern California Edison’s (SCE) service territory includes a wide range of climate zones from cool coastal climates to hot desert climates. Many of the existing studies within the industry were conducted in cooler climates only. This project focuses on the performance, and ultimately, the efficiency potential of LED technology throughout a wide range of extreme temperatures. Also, unlike the other Investor Owned Utilities (IOU) in the state, SCE owns and operates approximately 80% of the street lights, where the other 20% are owned and operated by various local governments. When considering energy saving incentives, the market size for those cities is around 200,000. The main advantage of LED technology, as reported in the literature, is its energy efficiency, higher efficacy, longer measure life, and improved durability to name a few, and as the technology continues to evolve there may be additional benefits. The LED luminaires tested in this project show a wide range of energy savings potential, with energy consumption a function of their performance. However, when replacing an existing luminaire on a one-for-one basis there are several parameters that should be considered. The replacement luminaire should meet or exceed the performance of the incumbent technology including overall light output, distribution and quality. This project takes a deeper look into the major aspects regarding the feasibility of luminaire replacement for the goal of saving energy and operating costs.
Project Report Document
Loading PDF Preview...
I have read and accept the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use
  • Pacific Gas & Electric Company logo
  • Southern California Edison Company logo
  • Southern California Gas Company logo
  • San Diego Gas & Electric Company logo
  • Sacramento Municipal Utility District logo
  • Los Angeles Department of Water and Power logo
  • CEC logo

Copyright © 2024 Energy Transition Coordinating Council. Trademarks are the property of their respective owners. All rights reserved.

The ETCC is funded in part by ratepayer dollars and the California IOU Emerging Technologies Program, the IOU Codes & Standards Planning & Coordination Subprograms, and the Demand Response Emerging Technologies (DRET) Collaborative programs under the auspices of the California Public Utilities Commission. The municipal portion of this program is funded and administered by Sacramento Municipal Utility District and Los Angeles Department of Water and Power.